For Students in Grades 6 Through 12
Any Lutheran student in a Lutheran school or church is eligible. Lutheran students may also enter through a home school or congregation (e.g. confirmation class, youth group) when validated by a pastor or teacher. Each school or congregation will submit only one entry for grades 6—8 and one entry for grades 9—12.
Students will write a life-affirming essay based on the theme: God Chose You with the Bible verse “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit.” John 15:16
- Not incorporating the theme and verse in the essay will disqualify the entry.
- Examples suitable essay topics include, but are not limited to, the following: abortion, the disabled, adoption, foster care, infanticide, cloning, stem cell research, physician-assisted suicide, or euthanasia.
- Essays should include student’s name, grade (identify school or church), and email address. All entries submitted by a teacher or pastor should include their name and email address. This information may be submitted on the rubric page or on a separate cover letter using the rubric page as a reference.
- All sources for references, statistics, and quotes should be incorporated within the essay and included in a bibliography at the end.
- Categories and word limits-
Grades 6—8 should submit essays up to 400 words
Grades 9—12 should submit essays up to 750 words
- Entries should be submitted digitally using Microsoft Word or Google Docs to LFLofWIEssay@gmail.com by March 31, 2021. You will receive a reply when you submit to be sure your submission went through.
- There will be a $150 prize for each of the two categories. The two winners will advance to the national contest.
- Email LFLofWIEssay@gmail.com with any questions (or call 920-264-8317).
- Grand Prize for the national winning entry at each level: $250 plus free conference registration to a 2021 Regional Conference and one-night stay at the conference hotel.
- All entries become the property of Lutherans For Life.
- For questions or resources on the sanctity of life, see: lutheransforlife.org
PDF of Contest Guidelines and Rubric Click Here
For resources on the sanctity of life, see:lutheransforlife.org