2019 Lutherans for Life of Wisconsin Essay Contest Guidelines and Rubrics Sample
For students in Grades 6 through 12
(Any Lutheran student or student in a Lutheran school)
Sponsored by Lutherans For Life of WI
1. Students will write a life-affirming essay based on the 2019 Conference theme: “Did God Really Say…?” and Conference Bible verse “Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (John 6:68) Not incorporating the conference verse in the essay will disqualify the entry.
2. Examples of topics the essay could deal with include, but are not limited to, the following: abortion, the handicapped, adoption or foster care, infanticide, cloning, stem cell research, physician assisted suicide or euthanasia.
3. Essays should include student’s name, grade (Identify school or church), email and home mailing address. All entries submitted by a teacher or pastor, should also include their name and email address. This information should be submitted on the rubric page used in grading the essay. You may use that as a reference of expectations.
4. Each school or congregation may have their students enter a school level contest first, but in the end, each school or congregation will submit only one entry for grades 6-8 and one entry for grades 9-12.
5. All sources for references, statistics and quotes should be incorporated within the essay and then included in a bibliography at the end.
Grades 6 – 8 should submit essays up to 400 words
Grades 9 – 12 should submit essays up to 750 words
6. Entries should be submitted digitally using Microsoft Word email to LFLofWIEssay@gmail.com by March 15, 2019.
7. There will be a $150.00 prize for each of the two categories for the LFL of Wisconsin Essay Contest. The two winners will advance to the national contest.
8. Grand Prize for the national winning entry at each level: $250 plus free conference registration to a 2019 Regional Conference and one-night stay at the conference hotel.
9. All entries become the property of Lutherans For Life.