2017 Lutherans for Life of Wisconsin Essay Contest Guidelines and Rubrics Sample
For students in Grades 6 through 12
(Any Lutheran student or student in a Lutheran school)
Sponsored by the Council of Federation Presidents, Lutherans For Life
1. Students will write a life-affirming essay based on the 2017 Conference theme: Hope For Life and 1Peter 3:15 “in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect”
2. Examples of topics the essay could deal with are: abortion, the handicapped, infanticide, cloning, stem cell research, physician assisted suicide or euthanasia.
3. Essays should include student’s name, grade (Identify school or church) and email address. Only one essay for each category should be submitted from each school or church. All entries submitted by a teacher or pastor, should include their name and email address. This information should be submitted on the rubric page used in grading the essay.
4. All sources for references, statistics and quotes should be incorporated within the essay and then included in a bibliography at the end.
Grades 6 – 8 should submit essays up to 400 words
Grades 9 – 12 should submit essays up to 750 words
5. Entries should be submitted digitally using Microsoft Word to the Wisconsin State LFL Federation by April 1, 2017. Send State entries to: email@example.com
6. The Wisconsin state award, sponsored by LFL Wisconsin State Federation will be $150.00 for each state winner in each of the two categories. Each Lutheran School needs to select their school finalist and submit only one for each category.
7. Winning state entries (one from Grades 6-8 and one from Grades 9-12) from each State
Federation should be submitted digitally by May 1, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Grand Prize for national winning entry at each level: $250 plus free conference registration to the 2017 Regional Conference of their choice and 1 hotel night at a conference hotel.
9. All entries become the property of Lutherans For Life.
For questions or resources on the sanctity of life, see: lutheransforlife.org